Pages

Monday, December 3, 2018

Leftover Turkey....what do you do with it?

So with a family of 9, only 8 eat real food, the youngest is still my best milk bar patron.  We get a big turkey every year. Like a 25+ lb bird..I don't know where these birds are being raised or how they are getting so giant, but I'm thankful for them.

With that being said, we still have a good tupperware of leftover turkey to contend with for about a week after the fattening day. This year, it was only 1 container but it seems like nobody wanted leftover turkey,..so I decided to get a little creative. I made a weird turkey soup sauce gravy concoction..and it was really yummy.

I just decided to wing it, since I had so much success recently in the kitchen creating stuff to put over rice for the family. My new obsession with rice is due to realizing how my weird steamer actually works!! It's not an instant pot thing..I won't spend that much money on a thing that I can't decide I can't cook without. This steamer I have was given to me by my mom, so free is great. If you're curious its a Hamilton Beach something, with 2 clear containers on the top and a black/stainless bottom..I'll try again as I do with every post, to get a picture to load and post..I bet it would make this so much more exciting for you to read :)

Anyhow, so I make rice a lot. With rice, I need things to put over it. We are big on bulgogi, since my hubby's trip to Korea over the summer, however, even that can get boring, I'm told. I don't agree, but apparently it's not solely my opinion that matters.

So this sauce stuff...I put about 2-3 Tbsp. of evoo and 1 Tbsp of butter in the saute pan, on med/low heat, chopped up one medium onion, let that cook for about 5-7 minutes until the onions are mostly transparent. Then I throw in about 3 cups of leftover turkey, maybe more, I'm terrible at measuring, and season with salt and pepper. I let that cook for a while browning the turkey bits just a little. Then, I add 2 cans of beef broth, 1/2 can at a time, waiting for it to reduce before adding more. with the last bit of broth I add a can of mushroom soup, and 1 cup of sour cream. I turn the heat low and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. To serve it we just put it over rice or mashed potatoes if there are any of those leftover, but that's a really big IF..my people love my mashed potatoes. I'll share my method for those sometime as well.

So what do you guys like with rice?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holidays are here again....uggh!

ugh! Here we are again, already a crappy holiday..Sophie ran away again on the 16th. This time she tried to say she saw a man coming in the ...