Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2018

Christmas Cards... Do people even mail them anymore?

Are Christmas Cards even a thing still? I remember when I was small, my mom loved getting and sending cards, and would hang them on a string with clothespins on a wall. I remember scribbling my name on a few for family, but never the ones that were to be mailed to others because they had to look neat and tidy. I remember thinking how important you must be to get a lot of cards at Christmas. I don't get any cards at Christmas now...I never have..how weird, right?

When I was in my 20's, I wished I had friends/family from lots of places so I could send cards out and get them in return to put on my string on the wall...that was a depressing year. I went out and bought a box of cards and sent to every address I had...which, let's be honest was only like 12 ish? and all of these were really family members...which I guess makes it more depressing that I didn't receive 1 card back!! Yea, not even 1!! Not even from my own mom, who used to be sooooo dedicated to the Christmas Card ritual.

I decided maybe it was me, maybe I sent them too late, or maybe my in laws weren't card sending people...ok no big deal. So we moved on and I let go of the idea for a while..Until this year!

I am working extra hard and a bit recklessly I'm sure, but I found a group on the FB that is only for peeps that want to exchange cards! How amazing! I had come to think that FB was purely for sharing weird (although hilarious at times) memes and fake news..but I found it..and I'm so excited!

I have received 4 YES 4!! cards and sent almost 36. The only issue I really have with card sending is the absurd postage cost! I really feel like it is showing my age, but I swear I remember when a roll of stamps was $29....yea, I know, I'm old..but good grief..is this why no body sends Christmas cards anymore? 

I mean, yea, I know, everyone is busy and everyone is on FB, Insta, Twitter, etc..but I feel like something as small as a hand signed Christmas card could do so much to make people feel better during the holidays.

Especially older people, NOT that I'm that old, but elderly people, that may not have family that visits often..I just think it might be nice for them to receive mail. I hope someone on my list is one of those people that really enjoys receiving cards. I hope I can make their holiday just a little nicer this year.

And yes, I do let all of my kids sign their names :) Except for the baby, he is only 5 months old after all...maybe next year!

I hope all of you receive all the joy and happiness you need this holiday, even if it is just a meme or ecard on FB or other platform <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holidays are here again....uggh!

ugh! Here we are again, already a crappy holiday..Sophie ran away again on the 16th. This time she tried to say she saw a man coming in the ...