Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2018

Giving! Find a little Pantry in your town, and FILL IT!

We live in a town that is really much bigger than it should be. It is right next to a military base, and it just keeps growing. I am ready to move somewhere smaller and less congested. However, I do like that every now and then, I see something that makes me feel warm inside and think that this town does still have some nice generous people here.

We love to go Pokemon hunting with Pokemon GO and we found a "Little Pantry" next to one of our Pokestops recently. A Little Pantry is a cute little cabinet, that you can leave food in for people in that immediate neighborhood to have if they need something to eat. I love it. This particular Little Pantry, is in a trailer park, and I know there are a lot of kids, and maybe they might need dinner or a snack one day when they get home from school.

I remember when I was young coming home and not having any food in the fridge or cabinets, and searching for enough change to go to the little store behind my apartment complex to buy a cake mix for .88 that I would then just take home and make with water only because we didn't have eggs or oil/butter to make it properly. Wow, showing my age there, when was a cake mix .88 at a little convenient shop? I also remember they had the little pints of Ben & Jerry ice cream for $1...OMG..wow I am so old! hahaha But going without, really made me realize that there isn't always going to be someone to take care of you, no matter how young you are, so I tend to have a huge soft spot in my heart for people that may not have food..I never want anyone to feel like I did when I was younger.

SO we decided that whenever I go get groceries, we will grab some things to take to this little pantry. I don't know if there are very many people stocking as using what is stocked, as it barely has anything in it whenever we come by. I try to fill it up whenever we can, thankfully it's small so even spending a small amount makes it look pretty full :)


This last time we hit a sale at Publix BOGO on pasta and sauces and we grabbed a bunch! I love that my daughter loves taking stuff almost as much as I do! She will suggest going even on days I'm not shopping, and say "but mom, we have all this stuff in the pantry we aren't eating!" I usually reply with, "yea, not right now, but we will need to have something to eat until the next grocery day, right?" haha But sometimes she still gets me to gather some stuff and make a run over to drop stuff off. It's pretty close to us so it's easy to do.

So I suggest looking for one of these little pantry boxes in your town, or if there isn't one, build it! Find a neighborhood that may need things available for less fortunate or struggling families.

Another great little thing, is a Little Free Library. Fill it with books you've read and don't need any longer, and then people can bring their read books and choose a different one to read, and it just keeps going..I love these so much!

Just remember it doesn't take a lot to do something meaningful for others. Even when you barely have enough yourself, there is probably someone with even less <3

No matter how hard it seems, today will be gone in the blink of an eye, if tomorrow comes, even if it isn't better than today, it will pass as well, just keep breathing, just keep going...I do..see you next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holidays are here again....uggh!

ugh! Here we are again, already a crappy holiday..Sophie ran away again on the 16th. This time she tried to say she saw a man coming in the ...