Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2019

I let my son with Tourettes use my sewing machine!

So I have 2 boys with Tourettes.

One is 16 the other just turned 12.

My 16 yr old is a more vocal Tourettes, and the 12 yr old is more physically ticky. So I was a bit nervous when he kept asking to sew. I mean I love him endlessly, but his arms tick a lot and I could only imagine him sewing something and his arm ticks and his finger gets under the needle and I freak out and then he freaks out and then there's blood everywhere and I decide to never let him in the sewing room (garage as it is better known hahaha) again....

But I did it...HE did it...He chose the fabrics, the zipper and decided how he wanted to make it!

He chose this awesome glow in the dark kitty astronaut fabric that I have been hoarding for a couple years now..afraid to cut too much off at once...you fabric crafters/quilters/sewers know exactly what I'm talking about...the rest of you probably think I'm a bit off...you're probably right, but not for this reason :)

He loves green so chose green lining and the only green zipper I had, even though he was notably disappointed that I didn't have a darker green zipper on hand haha...but as always, said "That's ok mama, this one is fine, I was just asking in case you had one because you have so many zippers".
No I do not have a problem hoarding sewing supplies I swear...I am really really good at collecting stuff :)

He wanted to hand sew first. So he did hand sew the zipper in then he top stitched the zipper on the machine, and then he machine stitched around it leaving the gap to turn the bag inside out, remembering to leave the zip half open inside even!



Then he hand sewed the gap in the bottom of his bag lining! He decided the blanket stitch was easier for him to do right now so that's what he did...and it looks fantastic! I'm posting a couple pics, and there's a video on the YouTube channel if you want to see the finished bag, and meet my wonderful boy :)

I am beyond proud. I can't believe how well he did, and how few ticks we saw while he was sewing...I hope you guys enjoy the video if you check it out.

I hope it inspires you to always try new things..no matter what you think makes it something you couldn't do. I learn that from my kids every day...They make me think, Hey I should try that new thing I've been thinking about...of course I end up getting side tracked and distracted into a whole nother project, but that's life right?

I'm gonna keep going, I'm gonna keep breathing, and everyday I'm gonna be thankful for all that I have and everyone that I love. I hope you will be too, because I'm thankful for you <3

See you next time!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Stitchy! I followed you here from Jenny's blog, and have really enjoyed reading through your blog. Your young man did an excellent job there <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg! Thank you so much! I can't believe you've stopped by!

    ReplyDelete

Holidays are here again....uggh!

ugh! Here we are again, already a crappy holiday..Sophie ran away again on the 16th. This time she tried to say she saw a man coming in the ...